Starting as early as 1929, coach William Alexander, the legendary head coach of the Yellow Jacket Football Team and NCAA Hall of Fame member, began to publicly lament the lack of spirit and regard for Tech displayed by most of the student body. Coach Alex, for whom the Alexander Memorial Coliseum was named, carried fond memories of his own from his days as the ‘Captain of the Scrubs,’ when he led the Tech practice team for three years, and played on the varsity team his senior year. The student body, like the rest of the nation, was suffering under the early years of the Great Depression. Optimism and enthusiasm were in very short supply during these lean years.
What Coach Alex realized was needed was a group of student leaders, organized to promote school spirit, enthusiasm for the Tech athletic teams, and Tech traditions and history among the student body. In 1930, Alexander approached Professor Fred Wenn, a great friend to the student body, about organizing and founding such a club. Wenn, for whom the present Student Center is named, agreed to take up the task. He set about creating the organization that was founded that same year as the Yellow Jacket Club. The Yellow Jacket Club was to be renamed in 1945 as the Ramblin’ Reck Club, and the name has held since.
Today, the Ramblin' Reck Club continues Coach Alexander's orignial directive of spreading joy and spirit to the student body of Georgia Tech. We strive to serve the student body through maintaining traditions, offering fun events year round, and ensuring that the legacy of the nation's only mechanical mascot is dutifully preserved.